The castellan house together with the two adjacent buildings is part of the historical ensemble of Kadrioru Castle. The two-story wooden building was built as a residence for the castellan (castle guard and park supervisor) in 1833 – 1850. The glazed porch and staircase of the Neo-Baroque house were added to the main part later. In other parts, the building has been preserved in its original appearance.
The Republic of Estonia decided to give writer and diplomat Eduard Vilde (1865 – 1933) a house with grass and garden land for his 60th birthday. After a long search, in 1927 a suitable 6-room apartment was found in a castellan house belonging to the state. At the time of moving into Vilde, the facade of the house was dark brown instead of the current pink. There were also big trees in front of the house and a small flower garden surrounded by a tree fence.
At the expense of the Ministry of Education, the apartment was renovated and furnished with A. M. Luther factory. In November of the same year, the writer moved to a new home with his wife and mother-in-law.
After Vilde’s death, Peeter Päts (Konstantin Päts’ brother), who became the park manager, lived in the same apartment.
Several interior doors and tiled stoves from the 19th century have been preserved in the house, as well as the apartment’s lighting fixtures, period wallpaper and textiles.
The museum was opened in Vilde’s apartment on August 29, 1946.